Thursday, February 3, 2011

Most Played: #25 - Dinosaur Jr, "Start Choppin'" (46 Plays)




In this feature, I'm going to examine the Top 25 most played songs on my iTunes as of February, 3, 2011, starting with number 25 and working my way up to 1, and talk about what I love about the song and why I keep coming back to it. If this feature goes on for a long time, which I'm sure it will, I'll make note of new additions and subtractions from my most played list.

On "Start Choppin'," J Mascis sheds his slacker persona and embraces his true status as an Indie Guitar God. Freed from the avant-garde leanings of former songwriting partner Lou Barlow, Mascis strips most of the noise and distortion away from the track, bringing Mascis' screaming solos to the forefront. "Start Choppin'" is one of the ear-friendliest songs by early-period Dinosaur Jr., but stands out on its own as the band's best straight-up rocker.

Reasons I keep playing it:
- The way Mascis stretches his normally restrained voice into a falsetto on the word "bye!"
- A sneaky guitar riff that starts off soft, but is unleashed by a monstrous power chord at the start of the first chorus
- Not one, but two amazing guitar solos. I probably prefer the first one, if only because it's slightly more melodic.

Next up: "'93 'Til Infinity" by Souls of Mischief

No comments:

Post a Comment